Friday, September 21, 2012

Private Lives

PART ONE--65 degrees and clear sailing up and down the coast. You know how you can look down a street and be startled with a memory so strong and perfect? Looking down this street in Ventura as I was preparing to go to the Rubicon Theatre-one of my favorite places, and watch "Private Lives"--one of my favorite plays written by the FABULOUS Noel Coward, starring three of THE BEST and my most favorite actors EVER, and catch up with one of my favorite backstage workers and friend and boss EVER, and maybe the light is not so great or even the exact view itself, but it IMMEDIATELY made me feel that peculiar and very, very, VERY special magic I felt when I first came to California and never EVER imagined that anyone could live in such a place--let alone me. I will keep using the word magic until the day I die. And perhaps even longer because who is to say what is magic and what is magical? Can't it all be? 30 days of writing. 30 days of posts. I am getting close to the finish. Love always!!
PART TWO--I am not naive enough to think that everything is magic or magical. On my trip down I listened to the radio report about a little girl who was injured by war bombs in Afghanistan. I heard our leading politicians argue like idiots, and heard stories both frightful and beyond sad. On my trip home I was immensely entertained by a most sincere broadcast concerning the wild world of banshees-which are mostly Irish and either beautiful women or hags or both!! But in between those trips I sat in absolute bliss in a sweet little theatre, surrounded mostly by the silver-haired, and watched "Private Lives". Watching really, REALLY great acting is like traveling in a time machine. For two hours I was effortlessly and wonderfully transported to the 30's in Paris, listening to lines of wicked wit and watching couples dueling like they were born to it. I am too tired to go on and on in my usual downloading jabberwocky style--just go see that fantastic show, would you? It plays this weekend and next week as well. And maybe even one more week. Just go, OK? You will have a terrific time. Get ready for tomorrow--tomorrow is the final show for THE GREATEST ARTIST IN THE WORLD. Get some sleep--Saturday ART SHOW CLOSING AND PURCHASES and then on to the THEATRE!!! Love always!!

No comments:

Post a Comment